Monday, January 16, 2012

Scotcheroos

I first tried this amazing treat when a friend of mine was visiting his mother in Ionia, Iowa. He said that they were his favorite treat of his mother's and that I just had to try them. Of course, I tried them and was immediately hooked. They are sweet, chewy, and really decadent.

I begged and pleaded for the recipe. It took a little convincing, but I was able to get a lovely, handwritten recipe for my collection. This one is near and dear to my heart because I love recipes are aren't just found on the internet or a shiny new cookbook, but ones that are passed on and have real stories behind them.

I know this recipe has been used for years at bake sales, birthdays, and church picnics. The history behind this recipe is so rich that, although the ingredients are simple, the love shines through. Give these Scotheroos a try, you just might want to pack up and move to Iowa.



Scotheroos
(AKA - Special K Bars)

1 C. White Karo syrup
1 C. white sugar
1 1/3 C. peanut butter
6 C. Special K cereal (some say you can substitute rice krispies, but I was told this was strictly forbidden)
1 C. chocolate chips, melted
1 C. butterscotch chips, melted

Pour the Special K cereal into a large bowl and set aside.

Bring the syrup and sugar to a low bubble/boil and remove from heat. Add peanut butter and stir. Pour over the cereal and quickly mix together until well blended.

Spread in a 13X9 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

Melt together the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Pour over the cereal bars and spread evenly. Allow to cool.

Once cooled completely, you can flip the bars out onto the counter to cut evently or just cut right out of the pan - your choice!! Enjoy!

Source: a lovely kitchen in Ionia, IA

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media