Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Recently, my husband and I have been searching for a home and it really got me thinking about what it means for a house to become a home. For me, it was always great family and great food coming together. Whether it was dinner, a party, or a random Sunday BBQ, I was always surrounded by comfort food growing up. One of my favorite recipes comes from my mom who made stuffed green peppers. I don't care to eat the green peppers but when I adapted her recipe to include sweet red peppers and ground turkey (to make it a little lighter), I created a dinner recipe that suites my tastes but still brings back loving memories of home.

I always think of my mom when I make this dish and it makes me realize that what truly makes a house a home is the love and laughter that fills it.


Hard to photograph but oh, so good!

Cut in half to show meatball filling

Stuffed Sweet Peppers
(adapted from Mom's Stuffed Green Peppers)
Makes 4 large portions

2 Peppers (green, red, orange, etc. - whatever you like and have on hand!), cut in half, seeded
1 lb. meatball mixture (recipe below)
2 cans (14.5 oz) tomato sauce
salt
pepper
water, if needed
2 Tbs. vegetable oil

Heat oil over medium heat. Generously fill pepper halves with meatball mixture. Any unused mixture can be rolled into extra meatballs. Place the peppers meat-side down in the oil and fry until meat has browned. Drain grease. Add tomato sauce and water (if needed) until the peppers are almost covered. Salt and pepper to taste (typically just a dash or two will do). Cover and simmer over low heat about 45 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Meatballs
1 lb. ground turkey (use beef for traditional meatballs, but the turkey is a great substitute!)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C. seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 C. Romano cheese (can substitute Parmesan if that's what you have)
1/2 tsp. basil
1 lg. clove garlic, pressed or minced
1/2 onion, finely diced
garlic salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media